6.10.2008

easy silence, and a little sanity


After returning from a three day vacation I am most thankful for two things, both of which I find in one person.

1) Silence
If I can steal from a Dixie Chicks song without crossing a line into unfettered sappiness, this is my plagiarized tribute to my boyfriend, Ryan:

"I come to find a refuge in the easy silence that you make for me//It's okay when there's nothing more to say to me//And the peaceful quiet you create for me//And the way you keep the world at bay for me"

(I couldn't help it, they just say it better than I could have). At times there is nothing more comforting than to be able to be with someone, to be perfectly content in their company, and not feel the need to say anything at all.

2) Sanity
Sure, a trip to Cape Cod may have helped decrease my stress level. But geography aside, Ryan has the most effortless way of making my 'big issues' seem not so big. He can always put things into perspective when I start down a conspiracy-theory road, or a woe-is-me road, or any of the other side streets that I often stumble upon. He is a little island of sanity and stability in my life, and for that, I am grateful by the hour.

2 comments:

Happygoth said...

This is excellent. I really admire you for finding something like this every day and taking the time to articulate it.

And by the by, your formatting is very "artistic" and unique. It's a design feature!

(And I tagged you for a meme).

Dawn Gahan said...

Having found someone like Ryan is quite special. What a lucky girl you are! (And I totally agree about the silences; when shared with someone who "gets it," the silence is anything but awkward.)

Dawn E. Girl