5.26.2009

big change

After three years of long-distance dating (preceded by two years of same-town dating), Ryan and I have decided to meet halfway. His job has moved him from Boston to Indianapolis, so... I'm heading up there August 15.

Call it a leap of faith, or call it a little crazy: I'm willingly leaving a happy home, loving friends, an irreplaceable family and steady job.
But to quote the wise wizard Albus Dumbledore, there comes a time when "you have to make a choice between what is right, and what is easy."

I could easily never leave this place, this city, these people. But I know it is the right time to make a change, to take a risk, to shake up the etch-a-sketch and draw something new. And now, to answer a few FAQs:

Are you sure you want to do this?
Yes

Do you really want to leave your job in the middle of a recession?
No, but unless my company would like to open a satellite office in Indianapolis, my options are slim.

What will you do when you get there?
Not sure yet. I'm applying to two grad programs (one for a MA in English & one for an MFA in Creative Writing), but I'm also planning to apply to a few copywriter postions. And I'm not above kicking it as a bookstore employee for a little while. We'll see what happens.

Are you guys getting married?
Quello che sarĂ , sarĂ  (this is intentionally cryptic; sorry to thwart your quest for answers)

Are you really sure you want to do this?
Yes*
*I reserve the right to complain about how miserable I may be this winter, when it's freezing and snowing, and I'm craving sweet tea and boiled peanuts, and missing all of you wonderful, beautiful people who have my heart back in the south.

[photo credit: Trey Pasquariello]

3 comments:

Allison said...

love your quote from Dumbledore...
made me realize I'm going to miss you even more than originally anticipated

K_Streams_Her_C said...

Can't wait to hear about your new adventures... but we'll miss you!

sueper33 said...

I can't wrap my heart around this yet . . .