11.19.2008

joining the 14%

Despite my dad's best efforts to stop it [see photo above], I got a tattoo last Saturday. Apparently 14% of the U.S. population is tattooed, according to Wikipedia... I would have guessed higher.

My mom and I went to Inksomnia, where the owner, Mike did my "ink." I was so afraid I'd pass out or pee my pants [an irrational fear, because I don't think an uncontrollable bladder is a real bodily reaction to pain]. Regardless, I waited until the absolute last second to go to the bathroom before sitting down in the chair. Because I was prepared for the worst, it actually didn't hurt as badly as I anticipated. Plus, my brave mother went first; watching her endure it made me feel a little better. When he was finished, the first thing Mike said was, "welcome to the club of tattooed freaks," which made me laugh with relief, and think I have to write that down so I'll remember it...
It turned out exactly the way I pictured, so I'm thrilled. It's a Sanskrit word which means consciousness — as in, "the state of being awake and aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc." I got it to serve as a constant reminder to myself to be aware and present in each moment.

Reactions have been varied but, for the most part, positive. My favorite was my grandmother: "Oh sweet Lord... well I don't know why I'm surprised. Nothing you do should surprise me after you wore flip-flops to prom."


7 comments:

Ashley said...

hey i have read water for elephants - it is so good!

marissa said...

Ahh I can't believe you got a tattoo! I love it, I know you've wanted that for a long time. What did Mrs. P get?!
I can't wait to see the tattoos in person :)

Kb_Mal said...

So neat, Devon!

Trey said...

Oh hey there baller.

Allison said...

I just want to say that your grandmother sounds adorable.

Unknown said...

first, nice tat!

haha.. i wore flip flops to my sophomore & junior proms!

and your dad's note.. lol.

Susan Marie said...

It was a Kodak moment - to bad we both forgot to take pictures - next time :-)
I love you to the moon and back, Mom xoxoxoxo