11.05.2008

e pluribus unum

A few days ago, I drove past a church sign which read, "Our imperfect choices; God's perfect will."

Just as there is no such thing as a perfect human, there is no such thing as a perfect human choice... and Lord knows I've made my share of shitty ones. But the beautiful thing is that, despite mistakes and misjudgments, we retain the right to
hold our own opinions, to speak our own truths and to make our own decisions. The power to choose should never be underestimated. At the same time, I keep in mind these lines from Desiderata; "whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." Despite my imperfect human choices, I carry an unshakable belief that things will happen as they were truly, perfectly intended to happen.

Last night, obviously, was a milestone moment. Some people cried tears of happiness, while others, undoubtedly, shed tears of frustration. Thomas Jefferson once said that "democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." In my mind, this is a partial truth: although being among the forty-nine percent can indeed be disappointing, I hope with all my heart that this nation never again attempts to 'take away the rights of others' but instead strives to "perfect our union."

No matter the outcome though, I think we can all be grateful for the privilege to vote. I'm proud to live in a country where every individual has the right to chose, has a voice and has the freedom to use it.
[photo by my brother Trey, November 3, in Charlotte N.C.]

"America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves — if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made? This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment." -President-Elect Barack Obama

3 comments:

Trey said...

Gosh, that quote was soo good last night when we said it live.

Unknown said...

Sorry, had to delete the last one because I hit "enter" to go down a line.. aaand it just decided to post what I had. Cool. Anyway, great post!

Susan Marie said...

We are the change we will see in our world . . . we all make a difference. Powerful sharing. I love you, Mom xoxoxoxoxo