10.13.2008

under the sea

On Saturday afternoon I ventured to the Georgia Aquarium with my brothers and Grandmother, who is visiting from North Carolina. Although I live in Atlanta, I had no idea that this aquarium is the world's largest (clearly, I live under a rock). It's definitely worth checking out, but I would recommend going on a weekday. That is, unless you like large crowds, close quarters, rubbing elbows with tourists, strangers breathing on you, etc.

My favorites were the Weedy Sea Dragons (above) and the Beluga whales. I was actually so transfixed by the Belugas that I forgot to snap a picture. The Moon Jellies were also fascinating — I was one of the numbskulled visitors who walked up to their tank and exclaimed, "they're changing colors!" only to be corrected by my seventeen-year-old brother, "Dev, the color of the light is
changing, not the jellies" (after that they didn't seem quite as cool). But I think the best part about a trip to the aquarium is how, at least for one moment, everyone lets their inner 8-year-olds out and gawks, open-mouthed and wide-eyed, amazed by the beauty of nature, in all its strange forms.

No comments: