9.25.2008

'twas the night before friday

Progress: this morning I only hit the snooze button two times before getting out of bed. This is huge. Lately I've been snoozing for a luxurious 40-50. I hate that I do it, but it is like a physical addition. (Do they have snooze rehab?)

But this morning was different. I awoke with a jolt, bright-eyed and ready to take on the day [insert corny theme music here]. OK, the real reason for my unusually alert start is that I slept with my windows open, and at 7 a.m. it was barely 74 degrees in my bedroom. Away to the window I flew in a flash, tore open the shutters and threw down the sash. This is cold when you're used to 78 — Ryan and/or Laura, I can hear you scoffing all the way from Brookline.

Once I was shocked awake, excitement set in, not unlike Christmas morning. There are three things happening over the next two days that I am, to put it mildly, singularly and absurdly excited about.

1) The North Georgia State Fair, Marietta GA
You know the adage — you can take the girl out of rur
al New Hampshire, but you can't take rural New Hampshire out of the girl. Can't decide if I'm looking forward more to eating Funnel Cake AND a Candy Apple, riding the Scrambler or watching Robinson's Pig Paddling Porkers (a swimming/racing porcine event, if you didn't know).
[Found this gem in the iphoto archives: my brothers at the fair in October '06.]

2) D-Dawg Reunion, Clemson SC
Assuming I can find a gas station that actually has gas, I'm taking a mini road trip to visit my best friend from
high school, Danna, aka D. Lo, aka Horseface. She moved to Clemson almost two months ago and I've been dying to visit her, see her new house and her pup Charlie. (Check it: Looks like if I can make it to the border on half a tank, I'll save a buck).
[Another shot I dug up: Danna circa 2001. Still makes me laugh every time.]

3) UGA vs. Alabama, 9/27 ESPN 7:45
One word to describe it: historic. The 9th game between top-10-ranked teams played in Athens in UGA history,
the 2nd blackout ever and the first time in 10 years that ESPN's GameDay will set up camp in the Classic City. It will be a glorious display of the world's finest game.
[Paint it black, boys. Paint it black.]

No comments: