9.28.2008

like the rolling stones said...

You can't always get what you want,
But if you try sometimes you might find

You get what you need.


Want: Trip to Clemson
Need: Quality downtime


Due to a seriously annoying lack of gas, I canceled my trip to SC at the last minute. I woke up at 7:30 on Saturday morning, spent an hour waiting in line at the Shell on the corner, only to find out they had a $25 cap. And then I found out from Danna that the fuel situation in Clemson is equally grim. It was a disappointing turn of events, but it ended up being a much-needed quiet weekend. Plus, now I have a squeaky clean apartment, an empty laundry basket, a half-full gas tank, a stocked pantry, a few chapters completed and a 10-hour-night of sleep to show for it.

Want: A UGA win
Need: An SEC reality check

The only unsettling, un-peaceful event of the weekend was the nauseating UGA loss. I could rant and rave for a paragraph at least. But I won't. Maybe we needed to be knocked off the pedestal. Maybe now we'll show up ready to play. Maybe now we'll want it more. Because as the legendary Vince Lombardi taught us, success is not as much about strength or knowledge as it is about will.

Want: North Georgia State Fair
Need: North Georgia State Fair

Pig races, petting zoo, candy apples, funnel cake, scrambler. Friday night I was fortunate enough to share these things with four of the people I love the most, my parents and brothers.

So,
one out of three ain't bad. But damn, a Georgia win really would have been gratifying.

2 comments:

Trey said...

We are going to the Cumming county fair on Friday. You are more than welcome to come.

Dawn Gahan said...

I think you won, hands down, on the best of all choices.

Dgirl