9.21.2008

just keep swimming

I'm not sure of the original source for this anecdote but I love it. My Dad gave me a copy on a little scrap of paper, which I've carried around in my wallet for years.

It's a rare person who doesn't get discouraged. Whether it happens to us or to an associate we're trying to cheer up, the answer centers around one word: perseverance. The value of courage, persistence, and perseverance has rarely been illustrated more convincingly than in the life story of this man (his age appears on the right):

Failed in business: age 22
Ran for legislature—defeated: 23
Again failed in business: 24
Elected to legislature: 25
Sweetheart died: 26
Had a nervous breakdown: 27
Defeated for Speaker: 29
Defeated for Elector: 31
Defeated for Congress: 34
Elected to Congress: 37
Defeated for Congress: 39
Defeated for Senate: 46
Defeated for Vice President: 47
Defeated for Senate: 49
Elected President of the United States: 51

That's the record of Abraham Lincoln.

So now you know why I named my fish after him. After a quick weekend in Boston (a staggering total of 40 hours), it can be
lonely to come home again. Thankfully, this little guy is there to greet me: Abraham the Betta, aka Abe the Great, aka Honest Abe, aka Mr. Lincoln. Sure, he doesn't exactly wag his tail, but he is a good listener. And he is a survivor, for sure: I've had him for 2 years this month. If he could talk, he would tell he's lived through some murky times. See the resemblance?

2 comments:

Trey said...

Abe FTW.

DTPfromATL said...

FTW? Is that a code I should know?