11.17.2008

home dolce home

A ogni uccello il suo nido è bello: an Italian saying which means To every bird, his own nest is beautiful. No, I don't speak a word of Italian, I only wish I did. (I barely passed three semesters of it in college, which I'm sure made Great Nana roll her eyes from the afterlife.)

I'm moving out of my apartment in January. The thought of packing makes me want to break my own legs, but the alternative is grim: a rent increase that would total $935/month. My mom's advice — which is golden 99% of the time — was to focus on what I have instead of worrying about what I can't control. So I've been trying.

A few nights ago, as I sat watching Real Housewives of Atlanta (which has the same effect as soaking your brain in Novocaine) I looked around at my small space like I hadn't in a while. Reflecting on the details, on all the time and love I've poured into it, I began to realize how much I'll miss it. Oddly enough, for the first time it feels like home. I've been living here for almost two years. Isn't it strange how we often need the threat of losing something in order to fully appreciate having it in the first place?

Anyway, I always love seeing pictures of others' houses, so I thought I'd share a few of my own nest... before I have to dissasemble it. But the very good part of all this reshuffling is that even though I'm losing my apartment, I'm gaining a roomate: my brother Trey! Now we just have to find a place...

3 comments:

Pam said...

It's beautiful! Bittersweet to leave your 'first' home, but onto bigger and better things. Love you....oh, I am a secret Housewives of Atlanta watcher....love it cause it is so mindless. Who the hell has that much money????????????????????????

Pam said...

Also....I had Water for Elephants in my hands at the library, but moved on to something else. Let me know if I need to put on my book list. I finished the Geisha book - LOVED IT.

Susan Marie said...

Your apartment is beautiful - so you . . . like Auntie Pam said, it's Bittersweet - you and Trey will create new and fun memories :-) I love you, Mom xoxoxo