10.31.2008

halloween [and pictures] galore!

I wish I could claim this excellent creation as my own, but I would be a big fat liar. My brother Nick made this huge (and delicious) pumpkin cake from scratch, using two bunt cakes stacked on top of one another. It was my sisterly duty to each three slices... not all at once, but one with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

This, however, is all mine! The very first pumpkin I've carved solo, and I'm overly proud of it. I wanted something that was more "Fall" than "Halloween" so I could keep it for a few weeks. It looks pretty cute all lit up on my dining room table, in my biased opinion.

But making a pair of ruby slippers was my big undertaking of the Halloween season. I started with a pair of plain red shoes from Walmart, and added spray-on glue, a few layers of chunky red glitter and finished them off with clear acrylic sealant. VoilĂ !

Before...












...and after.














The result: The Wicked Witch of the East
[Testing out my new ride]

[My fabulous, costumed co-workers... and my legs]

4 comments:

Dawn Gahan said...

Sorry I missed out! Ok sister, the ruby slippers are better than ANY I've seen in stores.

Dawn E. Girl

Pam said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

K_Streams_Her_C said...

Fabulous post, Devon. Love the cake (props to your bro), pumpkin, costume and photos!

Trey said...

Ok, so I've looked at that picture with you under the chair probably about 5 times now. And STILL don't understand. How did you do that? Photoshopped? It legitimately looks like the chair is ON TOP of you..